An online community of wellness, arts and enrichment learning opportunities.
The innovative and person-centered day habilitation program at JSDD’s WAE Center has led the field in meeting the individual needs of adults with developmental disabilities.
In recent months, a virtual learning program has reached beyond that traditional classroom, offering WAE Center members and JSDD residents’ creative opportunities to continue expanding knowledge, skills, and community as they shelter at home.
Open classes are always available, please call or email for enrollment information.
Class Offerings and Schedule
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 10am – 3pm
11:00am — "Let's Talk About Us" Discussion Group with Randy
11:15am — Kitchen Table Printmaking with Yvette
1:00pm — Travel with Dean
2:00pm — EXPLORING THE DECADES with Faye
10:00am — Art with Esther
11:00am — Daily Practice of Art with Faye
1:00pm — Music with Dean
2:00pm — Growing Food with Bill
10:00am — Print Making with Yvette
11:00am — Weekly What’s Up with Faye, Yoga with Ann
1:00pm — Music with Dean
2:00pm — Art with Esther
10:00am — Meditation with Esther
11:00am — Make Use, Make Art with Faye
1:00pm — Music with Dean
2:00pm — Growing Food with Bill
- Art with Esther: Building with Cardboard — With a cardboard box and little else but scissors, and some imagination, sculptures can be built. Paint and some drawing materials for decoration are a nice addition to add color. Each person's creation will be unique. Learning to balance the weight will be an interesting experiment.
- ASL and Communication with Charlotte: Individual sessions that focus on learning and practicing American Sign Language, interpersonal communication and self-expression. Scheduled Individually. Contact Ageorge@jsddmetrowest.org to schedule.
- Daily Practice of Art with Faye: Taking the time to make art each day is grounding and relaxing. Putting ideas down on paper leaves a visual record of time passing. It allows for expression and memory. The daily practice of art making strengthens the creative spirit.
- EXPLORING THE DECADES with Faye: This class will be an online look back at history and culture in the U.S. during the decades 1920-2020. Music, politics, fashion, dance, art, radio broadcasts and other aspects of popular culture will be explored. Along with trivia and guessing games, video presentations, art explorations and readings from topical literature will be featured. The front page of the NY Times newspaper will be investigated throughout the decade. Interviews with people who lived through the decade will be showcased. This class will give members an opportunity to see where we came from, and where we are going as a nation. Members are invited to dress for the decade!
- Growing Food with Bill: Re-growing food from scraps & starting a sustainable garden in your kitchen. How to make the most of the produce you buy.
- Kitchen Table Printmaking with Yvette: Kitchen Table Printmaking brings the art of printmaking to online students using materials found in the home. Students will explore the techniques of monotype, collograph, and relief printing using wax paper, cardboard, and Styrofoam as printing plates to create unique and multiple prints. Participants will learn about registration, color mixing, and using unusual tools.
- "Let's Talk About Us" Discussion Group with Randy: Group discussion will focus on currents events. Topics include the following: Covid-19 Pandemic, Racism, Civil Unrest, Police brutality and Economic instability, etc. Lessons will incorporate a study on history, politics, sociology and more. This class will be taught in a safe and respectful forum that encourages dialogue and learning.
- Make Use, Make Art with Faye: This class focuses on using materials found in the home to create collage art. Recycling magazines, food boxes, greeting cards and other items. The projects will follow the theme of the month From the current WAE center curriculum.
- Meditation with Esther: Meditation & Relaxation class is for members to reconnect with self and others. A time to share and feel part of our community as well as connect to our own space and resources we have inside. It is also a time to share and be heard at the start and end of each session.
- Music with Dean: In this class we will be working out our voices and brains by singing through some of your favorite song selections.
- Print Making with Yvette: Bringing the art of printmaking to online students using materials mostly found at home. Students will explore the techniques of monotype, collagraph, and relief printing using wax paper, cardboard, and Styrofoam as printing plates to create unique and multiple prints. Participants will learn about registration, color mixing, and using unusual tools.
- Technology Know How with Bill: Tech training sessions that focus on navigating Zoom effectively, more topics will be introduced in the coming weeks. Scheduled Individually. Contact: Ageorge@jsddmetrowest.org to schedule.
- Travel with Dean: With Travel so difficult in our current situation this virtual class is a way of exploring and experiencing places around the world. In each class we will explore the location, history, geography, and culture of a given place with the aid of pictures, audio and video. The only thing you need to bring is yourself and your imagination.
- Weekly “What’s Up” with Faye: This course takes the place of an in person morning meeting. It allows for the members to come together to share news and information from the past week. Current events, weather, food and human interest stories are included. There may be special guests or interviews as well as physical warm up exercises.
- Yoga with Ann: We'll be doing a combination of standing poses and on-the-floor or mat exercises. We will be going particularly easy as it's uncertain how much activity we each have had since isolation started. No props are needed. Shoes are fine if barefoot isn't comfortable. Everyone will work at their own pace.
Classes are subject to change, and we welcome all who wish to participate in this initial offering! For more information as to how to register for a class please contact:
YouTube Video Lessons
Check out what lessons have been created and posted to the JSDD’s WAE Center You Tube Channel. These videos provide an new way to continue your practice of art at home.
JSDD’s WAE Center strives to “Find the Spark Within” each person.
Virtual learning serves as a vehicle to expand the reach of the program beyond the traditional classroom. This underscores the agency’s commitment to accessibility and the long-lasting impact that wellness, arts and enrichment has on an individual. This online learning initiative will allow the WAE Center’s creative learning opportunities to benefit many more people than has ever been possible.
Thank you to the Healthcare Foundation of NJ in providing the grant to implement and sustain this program in this initial period of its development.
Who we are
At JSDD, the expectations for quality extend beyond what services and supports may be available to what life fulfilling experiences are possible. Our philosophy supports the notion that there are no limits to those possibilities. We have developed opportunities over time through a dynamic process of establishing relationships with the agency’s residents and WAE Center members. Unexplored interests, ideas, prospects for learning, continuing education and creativity are constantly evolving and emerge as our remarkable staff and the people we support get to know each other and share experiences.
What we do
Ability is the focus of all efforts in supporting the men and women we serve. We are delighted and inspired each and every day by the insights, revelations and creative energy that emerges when respectful relationships for the gifts and talent of every individual are considered. Learning and creativity occur organically as people share themselves and develop friendships and help each other to grow.